Drug Name Search
By Therapeutic Class
- ANALGESICS (Drugs for Pain)
- ANESTHETICS (Drugs for Numbing)
- ANTI-ADDICTION/SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT AGENTS (Drugs for Addiction/Substance Abuse)
- ANTIBACTERIALS (Drugs for Bacterial Infections)
- ANTICONVULSANTS (Drugs for Seizures)
- ANTIDEMENTIA AGENTS (Drugs for Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia)
- ANTIDEPRESSANTS (Drugs for Depression)
- ANTIEMETICS (Drugs for Nausea and Vomiting)
- ANTIFUNGALS (Drugs for Fungal Infections)
- ANTIGOUT AGENTS (Drugs for Gout)
- ANTIMIGRAINE AGENTS (Drugs for Migraine)
- ANTIMYASTHENIC AGENTS (Drugs for Myasthenia Gravis)
- ANTIMYCOBACTERIALS (Drugs for Mycobacterial Infections)
- ANTINEOPLASTICS (Drugs for Cancer)
- ANTIPARASITICS (Drugs for Parasitic Infections)
- ANTIPARKINSON AGENTS (Drugs for Parkinson's Disease)
- ANTIPSYCHOTICS (Drugs for Mental Health)
- ANTISPASTICITY AGENTS (Drugs for Muscle Spasm)
- ANTIVIRALS (Drugs for Viral Infections)
- ANXIOLYTICS (Drugs for Anxiety)
- BIPOLAR AGENTS (Drugs for Bipolar Disorder)
- BLOOD GLUCOSE REGULATORS (Drugs for Diabetes)
- BLOOD PRODUCTS AND MODIFIERS (Drugs for Blood Disorders)
- BLOOD PRODUCTS/MODIFIERS/VOLUME EXPANDERS
- CARDIOVASCULAR AGENTS (Drugs for the Heart and Circulation)
- CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AGENTS (Drugs for Nerve Conditions)
- DENTAL AND ORAL AGENTS (Drugs for the Mouth)
- DERMATOLOGICAL AGENTS (Drugs for the Skin)
- GASTROINTESTINAL AGENTS (Drugs for the Bowel and Stomach)
- GENETIC OR ENZYME OR PROTEIN DISORDER: REPLACEMENT, MODIFIERS, TREATMENT (Drugs for Genetic, Enzyme or Protein Disorders)
- GENITOURINARY AGENTS (Drugs for Genital, Bladder, and Kidney)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, STIMULANT/REPLACEMENT/MODIFYING (ADRENAL) (Drugs for Replacing/Stimulating Adrenal Gland Hormones)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, STIMULANT/REPLACEMENT/MODIFYING (PITUITARY) (Drugs for Replacing/Stimulating Pituitary Gland Hormones)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, STIMULANT/REPLACEMENT/MODIFYING (PROSTAGLANDINS)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, STIMULANT/REPLACEMENT/MODIFYING (SEX HORMONES/MODIFIERS) (Drugs for Replacing/Stimulating Sex Hormones)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, STIMULANT/REPLACEMENT/MODIFYING (THYROID) (Drugs for the Thyroid)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, SUPPRESSANT (ADRENAL) (Drugs for Suppressing Hormones from the Adrenal Gland)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, SUPPRESSANT (PITUITARY) (Drugs for Suppressing Hormones from the Pituitary Gland)
- HORMONAL AGENTS, SUPPRESSANT (THYROID) (Drugs for the Thyroid)
- IMMUNOLOGICAL AGENTS (Drugs for Enhancing or Suppressing the Immune System)
- INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE AGENTS (Drugs for Inflammatory Bowel Disease)
- METABOLIC BONE DISEASE AGENTS (Drugs for the Bone)
- MISCELLANEOUS THERAPEUTIC AGENTS
- OPHTHALMIC AGENTS (Drugs for the Eyes)
- OTIC AGENTS (Drugs for the Ears)
- RESPIRATORY TRACT/PULMONARY AGENTS (Drugs for the Lungs)
- SKELETAL MUSCLE RELAXANTS (Drugs for Muscle Tightness)
- SLEEP DISORDER AGENTS (Drugs for Sleep Problems)
Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal Formulary
We cover both brand name drugs and generic drugs. Generic drugs have the same active-ingredient formula as a brand name drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than brand name drugs and are rated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be as safe and effective as brand name drugs.
What is a Formulary?
A formulary is a list of covered drugs which represents the prescription therapies believed to be a necessary part of a quality treatment program. We will generally cover the drugs listed in our formulary as long as the drug is medically necessary, the prescription is filled at a network pharmacy, and other plan rules are followed. For more information on how to fill your prescriptions, please review your Evidence of Coverage.
The following files require Adobe Acrobat. Download Adobe Acrobat
How to Search For Drugs
- Use the alphabetical list to search by the first letter of your medication.
- Search by typing part of the generic (chemical) and brand (trade) names.
- Search by selecting the therapeutic class of the medication you are looking for.
What if my drug is not on the Blue Shield of California, Promise Health Plan Medi-Cal Formulary?
If your doctor thinks you need to take a drug that is not on formulary, you can ask your doctor to prescribe a similar drug that is on formulary, or your doctor can call us at 1-877-792-2731, or submit a written request for prior authorization review via fax at 1-866-712-2731. Some drugs require Blue Shield of California, Promise Health Plan approval.
What if I have additional questions?
If you want a copy of the Blue Shield of California, Promise Health Plan Medi-Cal Formulary, or have additional questions, please call Blue Shield of California, Promise Health Plan's Member Services at 1-800-605-2556 (Los Angeles County) or 1-855-699-5557 (San Diego County).